Bumblebee Happy Hives by Deb Antonick
• Seal the beehive ornaments with Gesso. Let dry, sand lightly.
• Basecoat with Warm White.
• Stamp the image using the stazOn or Ranger Archival Black ink pad.
Note: recommended when using Matte Medium as the ink will not smear.
• Use the Micron Pen to darken any imperfect stamp lines.
• Seal the entire surface now with DecoArt Matte Medium.
*Apply a coat of Matte Medium over the entire surface, let dry. I do this after stamping my
images so that the background is sealed. I can then wipe the paint off if I make a mistake and not
mess up the background.
I painted all the images with very light washes of the DecoArt Fluid Acrylics using the IPC Small Point
Blender. I build up the shading colors by using the Fluid Acrylics at full strength with the 3/8” Angular
shading brush. Keeping the paint to the tip of the brush, it is easy to tuck the stronger color into the
corners to create depth. Use the Soft Flat Top to soften the floats.
The Fluid Acrylics dry quick so it is easy to add tints of other colors.
*After I paint my first soft colors, I like to add another thin coat of the DecoArt Matte Medium. It dries
quickly and any paint added over the Matte Medium can be wiped off with a baby wipe without
removing the paint below.
• Shade the inside area with Cobalt Teal Hue.
E_PATTERN ONLY! Not for Resale. Copyright © 2021 Deb Antonick Designs, www.paintingwithdeb.ca Stamp set is copyright Stampendous stamps. All Rights Reserved.
Photocopying or mechanical reproduction is strictly prohibited. May be painted for fun or profit. No mass producing.All Rights Reserved.
Photocopying or mechanical reproduction is strictly prohibited. May be painted for fun or profit. No mass producing.
• Shade the bottom of all the honeycomb shapes with Primary Yellow.
• Highlight the tops of the honeycombs with Hansa Yellow Light.
• Deepen the shading with Hansa Yellow Medium.
Note: the shading areas should be getting smaller as you go so that all the colors still show
like a gradient.
• Deepen again with Diarylide Yellow.
• Deepen shading mostly keeping to the points with Quinacridone Gold. This really makes the
• Paint the bees with a wash of Hansa Yellow Medium.
• Shade with Diarylide Yellow.
• Deepen shading with Quinacridone Gold.
• Shade the wings with Cobalt Teal Hue. Highlight with Titanium White.
• Dot the eyes with Titanium White.
• Paint over the wings with clear glitter paint. I used DecoArt Holographic Illusions Crystal Ball.
Also uses these supplies:
2 x 5" Beehive Ornament 31-L750 available from www.cdwood.com
Ranger Archival or StazOn Jet Black Ink Pad
Pigma Micron 05 Archival Ink Pen – Black or identi-pen
Baby wipes, Scissors
Paints and Mediums:
DecoArt Media: Matte Medium, Gesso
DecoArt Acrylic: Warm White
DecoArt Holographic Illusions Crystal Ball (or any clear glitter)
DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics: Cobalt Teal Hue, Primary Yellow, Hansa Yellow Light, Hansa Yellow
Medium, Diarylide Yellow, Quinacridone Gold, Carbon Black.
Brushes: set available from www.paintinwithdeb.ca
Dynasty Eye of the Tiger 3/8” Angular shader, Dynasty IPC Medium Flat top Mop, Dynasty IPC Small
If you've use this product in a project of yours, we'd love to see it! You can submit your step-by-step instructions and supplies used by clicking below.Submit A Project