Polar Play Candle Tray by Deb Antonick
- Seal the surface with a coat of Gesso. Sand lightly.
- Basecoat with Snow “Titanium White. Let dry.
- Stamp the images with either the StazOn or Ranger Archival black ink pad.
(Other inkpad brands may smudge with the painting mediums, especially the Matte Medium. Test other brands first.)
- Use the identi-pen to fix any imperfect stamped areas and to line a box around the words.
- Seal the surface with DecoArt Matte Medium to prepare for painting.
Note: All painting is done in light washes of paints, then shaded with paint full strength. Tints are soft floats of watery paints for just a hint of color.
- Paint the background around all the images with a wash of Tropical Blue using the IPC Small Point Blender. Mop to soften and remove excess moisture. Let dry.
- Shade around the design and outer edges of the surface with more Tropical Blue.
- Shade with Paynes Grey.
- Tint cheeks and ears with Cinnamon Drop.
- Paint with a wash of Sour Apple.
- Shade with Festive Green.
- Highlight with Bright Yellow.
- Deepen shading with Holly Green
- Paint with a wash of Cinnamon Drop.
- Shade with Napa Red.
- Highlight with Saffron Yellow.
- Deepen shading with Napa Red.
- Paint with a wash of Lavender.
- Shade with Dioxazine Purple.
- Highlight with Tropical Blue.
- Shade the face with Paynes Grey.
- Tint the cheeks with Cinnamon Drop.
- Paint the feet and beaks with Bright Yellow.
- Shade with Saffron Yellow, highlight with Snow “Titanium” White.
- Deepen shading with Orange Flame.
Paint with soft Tints as follows:
- Shade with Dioxazine Purple, highlight with Orange Flame
- Shade with Cinnamon Drop, Highlight with Festive Green.
- Add other tints as desired.
- Shade the phrases with tints of Festive Green, Cinnamon Drop, and Bright Yellow.
- Shade the larger snowballs and dot some of the snowflakes and eyes with Snow “Titanium” White.
- Spatter with Snow “Titanium” White.
- Add glitter to the snowballs and the Christmas balls on the wreath.
Also uses these supplies:
# SLDPK109 8-Sided Scalloped Candle Tray Wood Kit Available from www.tolepaintingdesigns.com
Identi-pen, Baby wipes
StazOn or Ranger Archival Jet-Black Ink Pad
Paints and Mediums:
DecoArt Media: Matte Medium, Gesso, Ultra Matte Varnish,
DecoArt Acrylics: Lamp Black, Snow “Titanium” White, Lavender, Dioxazine Purple, Paynes Grey, Tropical Blue, Sour Apple, Festive Green, Holly Green, Bright Yellow, Saffron Yellow, Orange Flame, Cinnamon Drop, Napa Red
Glitter Paint - Holographic Illusions Crystal Ball
Brushes: set available from www.thebrushguys.com use coupon code DEBA
Dynasty Black Gold (206 Series) ¼” and ½” Angle Shaders
Dynasty IPC Small Point Blender,
3/8” Mop Brush (Decorator Series 400)
If you've use this product in a project of yours, we'd love to see it! You can submit your step-by-step instructions and supplies used by clicking below.Submit A Project